UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA WAKEBOARDING CLUB
We are the official Wakeboarding Club Team at the
University of Florida.
Our program is free to all members.
Boat: 2016 Axis A20
Current National Rank: #1
Back to Back National Champions
Practices: Tuesday through Friday
at Lake Wauburg's South Shore.
Current Team Riders:
Spencer Sinclair - Alex Montgomery - Heather Bouchard - Jared Franco - Michael Hanna
Freddie Wayne - Alex Setuain - Mac Schramm - Jenna Curtis - Juan Mendez
Marcus Knox - Mike Larkin - Tanner Jones - Jonathan Tiongco - Isabella Laughinghouse
Tommy Power - Jack Famiglietti - Tanner Bogue - Valerie Trench - Dan Lubeski
For new members:
- Where and when does the UF Wake club practice? The Wake Club chooses two days per week at the beginning of each semester for when they will hold practices. This year, we have chosen Tuesday and Wednesday. On Tuesdays they run from 11-1 and Wednesday from 1:20-3:20. They are always held at Lake Wauberg's South Shore. Please show up 10-15 minutes early.
- How can I join the Wake Club? In order to join the club, you will need to join our Facebook Page(link at top right) and talk to the president, Spencer Sinclair. Additionally you will need to sign up for the Wake Club through RecSports at the following link https://ufl.collegiatelink.net/form/start/25255. We hope to see you come out!
- Do I need to be able to Wakeboard? Although we certainly like to add experienced riders to our team, prior experience is not required to join the Wake Club. New riders can learn the basics of wakeboarding by calling into Lake Wauberg on Tuesday's at 12:00 to reserve a recreational wakeboard slot at Lake Wauberg (352) 466-4112.
- Does it cost money to join to Wake Club? There is NO FEE to join the Wake Club, but we require team members to participate in community service and fundraising events that help to pay for our endeavors.
- Do I need my own equipment? You are not required to have your own equipment. Although, we strongly recommend purchasing your own board and boots. Members of the wake club will have access to huge discounts through our sponsors.
Competing on the Wake Team:
- Who can compete? Any UF student that has signed up for the Wakeboard Club is eligible to compete in the Fall competitions.
- When/Where are the competitions? Competitions are typically held in the Fall Semester. We typically attend 2-3 competitions in the Fall. Last year, the two competitions we attended were in Atlanta, GA and Tarpon Springs, FL. These locations are subject to change from year to year. This past Spring Semester we also attended a cable competition that took place at Orlando Watersports Complex in Orlando, FL.
- How do Competitions work? Members of the Wake Club that choose to compete will drive together to the competition location. Each member is responsible for paying his/her own entry fee, which is typically $30-40. Competitions are broken down by categories related to skill level. These are Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Outlaw, and Wakeskate. The skill categories limit the level of tricks that can be performed in each level. For example, Intermediate riders can do spins up to, but not over, 360s. Each rider gets an out and back pass behind a high performance wakeboard boat. This enables the rider to perform somewhere between 8-14 tricks during the competition run. Judges in the boat evaluate each rider's performance. After all the riders have gone, awards are given to the top 3 from each category.
- USA Wakeboard Nationals: This competition is limited to our top 4 males riders, top 2 female riders, and top wakeskater. USA Wakeboard Nationals is held at the end of the Spring Semester. If you are eligible to compete in this competition, chances are you already know all about it. The 2014-2015 USA Wakeboard Nationals will be held May 29 - May 31 in Bossier City, Louisiana.
- How do reimbursements work? Travel expenses for driving to and from competitions will be reimbursed through RecSports. This is Student Government money and requires that each individual keeps all receipts and fills out a post-travel expense form. Please contact our president (Spencer Sinclair) for reimbursement requests at (772) 559-4215.
For any further questions about the wake club, email us at email@example.com.